Submissions are now closed for MONSTER FEST 2023
MONSTER FEST has a juried competition for Short & Feature Films
Monster Fest will take place at Cinema Nova in Melbourne from October 12 – 22, 2023.
You can see a full list of the 2022 awards here
The feature film category is for films that are between 60 -120 minutes long and are classified as horror, sci-fi, fantasy, or related genre films (black comedy, dark thriller, crime, psychodrama, magic realism, animation, gothic western, action, suspense, etc). Films must be Australian premieres and have not had a festival debut prior to January 1st 2023.
The short film category is for films approximately 15 minutes long or less that are classified as horror, sci-fi, fantasy, or related genre films (black comedy, dark thriller, crime, psychodrama, magic realism, animation, gothic western, action, suspense, etc). Short films must be Victorian premieres and have not had a festival debut prior to January 1st 2023. Short films that are already available publicly online are not eligible.
We have a new section at MONSTER FEST for expanded cinema projects, namely multimedia presentations in which the presenter is an integral part of the show: multimedia lectures, video installations, live scores, live projection, etc. Are you a media artist that does something with genre that might not qualify as a conventional film screening? Then this category may be for you!
Early Bird Deadline: May 16th
Regular Deadline: August 16th
Late Deadline: September 16th
Use the following portal below to submit your film:
Please note that film submission platforms based within the United States may base the opening date in US eastern time.
Upon submitting a film for consideration to MONSTER FEST, the submitter acknowledges and agrees to the following:
- The submitter holds relevant copyrights for the submitted film and agrees to screen the film at MONSTER FEST should it be selected for the program.
- The submitter understands that submitting a film does not guarantee entry into the festival program and that no refunds will be issued for submission fees for films not selected for the program.
- The submitter agrees that if the film is selected for the MONSTER FEST program they will be able to provide a screening copy on DCP and arrange for KDMs (if required) and shipping of materials to Australia by the agreed festival materials deadline. Short films will be accepted as DCP or .mov files (exact specs TBD).
MONSTER FEST only accepts submissions electronically, utilising online screeners. This allows your film to be seen by the whole programming team and thus increases its chances of being selected.
Eligibility requirements for features and shorts:
- Feature Films must be Australian premieres and have not had a festival debut prior to January 1, 2023.
- Short Films must be Victorian Premieres not publicly available online and have not had a festival debut prior to January 1, 2023.
- Expanded Cinema projects must be Victorian Premieres.
- Running time for all feature films must be 60 – 120 minutes.
- Running time for all shorts must be approximately 15 minutes or less.
- Selected feature films must be made available on DCP (depending on venue) and the submitter must arrange for KDMs (if required) and shipping of materials to Australia by the agreed festival materials deadline.
- Selected short films must be made available on DCP (depending on venue) or .mov file (exact specs TBD) and the submitter must arrange for KDMs (if required) and shipping of materials to Australia by the agreed festival materials deadline.
- Expanded Cinema proposals must be primarily self-sufficient, however this can be addressed on a case by case basis. The artist should provide and operate all personalised equipment (laptops, small gauge film projectors, any video projectors outside of existing cinema setup etc) and be able to travel to the festival at one’s own expense to present.
- Film submissions in a foreign language must be subtitled in English.
- Preview format is an online screener. We do not be accepting physical screeners.
- If submitting more than one film, a separate completed entry is required for each title.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
SCHEDULING: Films are scheduled at the discretion of Monster Fest. Monster Fest retains the right to make changes to the published schedule at any time and for any reason. Films may be screened more than once.
RELEASE: MONSTER FEST is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The submitter shall indemnify and hold harmless Monster Fest from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.